Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Outboard Engine Update

I took the outboard to a repair shop today. I had considered trying to get a manual and then trying to restore the outboard that way. However, I am not a mechanic and with an engine that hasn't even been run in several years I wouldn't even know where to start.

Keep in mind the last time this aluminum boat was registered was back in the mid 1960's and for all I know it hasn't been run since then.

Given the circumstances I thought it would be best to get the outboard up to a base level and then work from there. I also have a lot to get done on the boat itself without spending significant time and money trying to teach myself how to get a boat engine running.

Regardless I was able to learn the year of the engine: 1957. This means that this motor is more likely to be the original one for the boat, and that the age of the boat itself is probably older than I thought.

Should hear in the next few days what they find. If it is just a matter of cleaning out the carburetor it shouldn't be a big deal, but there are a lot of parts that you just can't find anymore for this particular outboard motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment